Frequently Asked Questions
Why do only accept cash for payment?
- For several reasons. One, it is the quickest way to pay. Given our small lobby and the outside lineup for the box-office we hope you appreciate we try to move our lines as fast as possible. Two, the cost of alternative methods of payment adds to cost of operation, and puts upward pressure on our prices, something we try to avoid. Third and lastly, a philosophical stand against the movement towards a cashless society. We do have an ATM in our lobby.
How come you are only running one movie instead of a double bill?
- Ideally, we would run a new double feature of brand new movies every week. In order to play a movie on release we have to play it exclusively for at least two weeks. Also some studios (20th Century Fox, Disney) usually want an exclusive one week commitment for the first week we play their movies, no matter how old they are. If we think that a movie has more demand than any of the double bills we can put together we will play a movie by itself. We plan to play double bills at least 60% of the time.
Why don’t you play such and such classic or artistic movie?
- We have tried older movies, and despite significant marketing efforts, they don’t draw very well. The urge to see an old movie back on ‘the big screen’ is not a common one. Moreover there just aren’t prints available for the bulk of the movies older than 2 years. Artistic movies make more sense and we do book them from time to time. There are many weeks when we try to book one but just can’t get a print as very few are made and other theatres are playing them.
When are you playing movie ‘X’ or what is playing on such and such date in the future?
- We don’t keep secrets. Everything we know about what is playing is advertised on this website, in our email, on our show-line, in the newspaper, in our lobby and front window. We generally book movies on Monday’s for the Friday start. We book our movies on a week by week basis in order to get newer movies faster. As soon as a popular movie becomes available we get it. If we tried to book ahead this would not be possible. Occasionally it makes sense to book ahead and when we do, we advertise it. We don’t keep secrets.
What topping do you put on your popcorn?
- Butter! It is included in the purchase of any popcorn. We also have many different seasoning salts available for you to top your popcorn with.
What containers do you recommend for you B.Y.O.C. promotion?
- For the popcorn, plastic or metal bowls work well. Please choose something that you would ‘re-use’ as that is the spirit of the program. Anything dishwasher friendly. You get the equivalent of our large (or less) for $2.50.
For the drinks, plastic is best. Paper cups are not overly re-usable and anything with metal messes up our auto pour fountains.
What theatre is the show playing in?
- We do get this a lot. The Clova is a single screen movie theatre. Which is convenient since most people can only watch one movie at a time. We do however have two aisles leading down from two sets of doors. Either door will lead you into the theatre where the movie is playing.
There is a movie theatre in Cloverdale, where?
- Since 1947 The Clova has been located in historic downtown Cloverdale. It is at 5732 – 176 Street, not be confused with the Cloverdale Bypass. Access is easy from Highway #10 and from the Pacific Highway.
There is street parking in front of the Clova and throughout downtown Cloverdale. There are also several large parking spots within a block or two, including a very large one directly behind the Clova.
When do you open?
- Our box-office opens half an hour before show-times. If there is a lineup and we are ready we will open earlier.
How do we get a hold of you if we have a question that isn’t answered somewhere on this website?
- You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org